How softly you tiptoed into my world, so silently, only a moment you stayed, but what an imprint your footsteps have left upon my heart.
Trauma: Life in the ER
We had our first trauma while I was off from work.

I sent Connor to daycare the first day I was off. No, I'm not a bad parent who wanted a day off. I was painting his bathroom and figured it was better he be at daycare then in the paint bucket. I received a call at 3:30 letting me know Connor had fallen off a ride-on toy and hit his head on the fence on the playground. The lady said the cut on his head would probably need a stitch or a butterfly. I thought they were probably overreacting.

I laid my paint brush down and took off to the daycare. My brother was driving by the daycare and said he would stop by and look at the cut. He took one look and said it needed something. It didn't look too bad, but I know that head wounds can bleed for a while, so I thought I would take him to the pediatrician.

Did you know that pediatricians cannot do stitches? Well, at least mine can't. I ended up going to Children's Healthcare of Atlanta Immediate Care to get everything taken care of. That's two co-pays instead of one. I was not happy. The coolest thing was the way they numbed the site they were going to stitch. They used some type of gel instead of using a shot. The only problem is that it takes 30 to 45 minutes to work. My son. He ran around like nothing was wrong. Me? I sat there like nothing was wrong. You may wonder why. Wouldn't most mothers freak out? Try spending some time in the NICU or a week in the hospital after spending time in the NICU and see how much those little things bother you.

My wonderful husband showed up right before we went back to see the doctor. He's so strong. (I'm being sarcastic.) He sees an x-ray, he passes out. We go back and they put Connor in this papoose thing to keep him from moving, which totally freaked him out. I think he would have been better if he just layed on the gurney. The doctor gets ready to wash out the laceration with saline and the nurse asked Ken if he was ok. Now, I had my back to him and wasn't paying attention. I turned around and he was white as a ghost. My reaction? "Put your head between your knees."

MY BABY GOT 4 STAPLES IN HIS HEAD. HIS HEAD. It's not right. The nurse gave him a popsicle afterwards. He was fine. I was fine. Ken? He had to lay on the gurney for a while so he could walk out to leave.

Today we are going to get the staples out. Ken is not going.


Check out my civil war bandage

What head wound?

I promise not to fall off the chair when I climb on it.

|