How softly you tiptoed into my world, so silently, only a moment you stayed, but what an imprint your footsteps have left upon my heart.
Brotherly love
My brother was deployed today. He left for the Horn of Africa. Everyone keeps asking if that is a combat area. In fact it is. I'm not sure where he is going. Actually, neither is he. But this morning he got on a plan headed for Norfolk, VA and then hopped a military flight to Africa.

This is not the first time this war has affected me. My dh spent a year in Baghdad. He let when weeman was 6 months old. It was hard. This December my oldest nephew is deploying to Fallujah. I guess it's a good thing I support our troops and the war.

My brother and I haven't always gotten along. Most people say that when they are teenagers. I could say that until about 4 years ago. He was stationed in Seattle and met a wonderful woman. While he was there, I lost my first child. He called while I was in the hospital multiple times. I was amazed.

I helped plan their wedding. Never in my life had I been able to work with my brother without being insulted by him. He was very appreciative of everything I did.

He has 4 days to kill before he left. He came "home" to wait. Since I am out of school we were able to spend a lot of time together. I watched him repack all of his stuff from 5 bags to 3. I took him to find speakers to play his iPod on. We ate lunch together every day. Never once did we argue. And when I said goodbye to him last night (he left a 4 this morning) he said thanks for helping me with everything.

Sunday night the whole family went to dinner to say goodbye. My sister-in-law took a picture of all the boys. I have a really bad feeling about this deployment. I hope this in not the last picture I will have of him.
(top middle:wee man, middle row:Todd, Stephen, front row: Dad, Scott-deployed, dh)

Labels: ,

|